Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"...after they realize that we are not so scary or weird, they let us in."


Well now its 2010!  That's cool, I made a great video about it that I am sending in the mail on a DVD with a ton of photos and videos today!!  I won't delete anything from the memory cards until you guys have received the DVD and copied all of the photos onto the computer first!  I'm stooooooked for you to receive them, they are all great!!!  
I got the banner of glory from the cubs, that was dooope.  I don't remember if I told you but I hung it up in our house.  
Well things are SUPER solid with elder Thrapp!!  Dang he is a baller.  He also had a rap group, Easy C and Kablamo (post their myspace on my blog , myspace.com/easycandkablamo) and did a lot of weird stuff too before the mission.  
We are finding a ton of cool people too, we are teaching a great family; Vinicius, Eloisa, Vini, and Bianca.  They are really interested and know that the Book of Mormon is true.  But they are very Catholic so they need to strengthen and switch it up!!  I can really see them being baptized though, and families are the best thing to baptize!!!  
We had interviews with President Leal yesterday, he was really stoked about the goals I have made and my progress linguistically and gave me props.  I learned that he is incredibly rich because of some chemical plant in Sao Paulo that he is a co-owner of.  So that's pretty cool.  
We did divisions with the zone leaders, I was with Elder Hall who is going home in two weeks.  Whenever we do divisions, we teach like NUTS.  Thrapp and Almeida taught 8 lessons and we taught 7.  The sisters in our district are struggling, soooo many problems, lots of drama.  So our district meetings are pretty funny and I am able to make a lot of greeeat jokes!!
Spencer turns 17 this week oh my GEEZ that's so dang crazy!!!  I remember when I was 17, I think it was like the day before Prom or something like that. Parabens brother, celebrate to the maximum.  Pretend that shipping costs weren't ridiculous and that I could send you a Ronaldo Corinthians jersey, but I can't.  So just imagine it.  Have a great birthday.  Yeah for my birthday, really just the pens are important.  The book will be cool too.
Well, we have been hustling, teaching a lot of lessons and revolutionizing missionary work in Cambe.  We are going crazy with working with the members. We have someone from the elders scheduled to go with us every evening this week.  I'm stoked, because it's a lot better with members.  
A method I discovered to get people to let us in:  Many times when we clap at their gate, they don't come to the door, but they are home.  So really we just need to talk to them for a moment to get them to realize that we are bringing something good.  So I call out a name, like Claudia or Felipe (not one like Joao or Maria, they are too common.)  Generally the person comes out to tell us that the person we called does not live there.  So we basically just treat the situation as though they had come out the first time we clapped, introduce ourselves and ask their name and say why we are there.  It's good to ask what the name of the street is or something also.  Then, after they realize that we are not so scary or weird, they let us in.  
We have taught several people using this, and one is very interested in the church. So basically this technique, while it may seem a little sneaky at first, is a sneaky way to sneak the gospel in on people the way Satan sneaks sin onto people!! We never lie in our question encounter, and people accept us well. That's something to remember for your mission Spencer, figure stuff out to get lessons to the people!!
That's all I have for now,
Love you all
Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment