Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"...his Book of Mormon is getting all brown and worn out because he reads it so much!!"

Man everywhere are distractions now that we are closing in on the World Cup!!! Holy geez!!! I remember the days when I spent about six hours a day watching soccer for 2.5 weeks. But now I am restricted to HEARING about how SOME of the games went!! AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Well, Satan is a dogg and I expect things to get rougher and rougher as the World Cup goes on.
ANYWAY, things here have been really good. The most incredible thing has been how fast Elder Proulx has learned Portuguese and life as a missionary. He is a good reminder of how much desire I had when I arrived to primarily help people and then help them receive the gospel. It has been a great learning experience for the both of us.
One of our greatest victories this week was that we finally helped Luiz mark a baptismal date! We are planning the baptism on the 12th. We are really excited about that. He completely accepts everything, his Book of Mormon is getting all brown and worn out because he reads it so much!! But we are really excited for him. We are working with a lot of people that are really interested right now.
I would like to talk a little about Lourdes. Lourdes is a woman. She is about 54 and lives with her grandkids and a cousin whose house recently burned down. She at first seemed like just your average old woman who likes to hear the word of God. But we noticed that she is different when she started reading all of the suggested scriptures in the Bible that are found at the end of the Pamphlet on the Restoration.
She was like "Its all correct, but I don't have this other Bible that has some of the scriptures in it too" O we were like "Oh well that's the Book of Mormon and we have one for you right here!"
She was STOKED. She has basically accepted everything we have taught. On Sunday she was planning on going to church. I woke up and it was raining and thought "GREAT" (sarcastic great) because Brasilians have the unfortunate habit of using rain to skip basically anything. So Lourdes didn't make it to Church. But in out visit to her later, she told us that she had left when the rain stopped for a minute. But it started to rain so hard that she had to go back. She changed into dry clothes and tried to get her daughter to give her a ride to church, but that lazy daughter refused.
She has asked about a lot of interesting stuff like baptisms for the dead that I had never been asked about before, but she said she asks like all "Pastors" about it and they never know, until us. So we are super excited about her.
I have come to a much greater knowledge and love of Jesus Christ this week. I know that He is our Savior, the Savior of all those who accept Him. I know that He has once again revealed the fullness of His gospel and calls prophets and apostles. I know that real happiness, eternal happiness, only comes through the knowledge of and obedience to the doctrines found in the scriptures.
Love you all
Joseph

I only took one photo this week, but it's a classic. I call it:
"Of German Ancestry?"

No comments:

Post a Comment